Pages

Wednesday 20 December 2017

Activity 2: Acknowledging Ancestry

All of us are members of a family. Some of us have large families and some of us have very small families. When I have the opportunity to talk about my family and my ancestry I sometimes choose to use a pepeha. It is a very special way of identifying who I am and where I come from. There are many different versions of pepeha but most provide people with information about who you are and where you come from (i.e. your whakapapa). Use the template provided below to prepare your own unique pepeha. If you need help please watch this short movie clip on preparing a pepeha.

SAMPLE PEPEHA
Ko Mt Wellington te maunga / The mountain that I affiliate* to is…
Ko ? te awa /The river that I affiliate to is….
Ko Pate te waka The waka that I affiliate to is…
Ko Uiha tōku tīpuna /My founding ancestor is…
Ko ? tōku iwi          My tribe is…
Ko ? tōku hapu My sub-tribe is…
Ko Auckland, New Zealand tōku marae My marae is…
Ko Auckland, New Zealand ahau I am from…
Ko Mata, Samu ōku mātua  
Ko Samuel tōku ingoa. My name is …

When you have completed your pepeha, post it on your blog. You could even post a video of you reading out your pepeha.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Samuel
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School

    Phenomenal Work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Samuel,

    Great work filling out your pepeha, I had a few gaps in my one too. Do you ever think about the answers to the question to don't know?

    Keep up the Fantastic work!

    Katelyn:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic work on the Pepeha Samuel. I agree with Katelyn, well done on finding so much information to use. What do you think your favourite line from the Pepeha is? What does it translate to?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Samuel,
    I had trouble doing my Pepeha because I didn't understand what I was suppose to do. This is amazing.

    Good work
    Jerome;)

    ReplyDelete