Activity 1: Translating Phrases
Unlike the Māori, many of the European settlers didn’t speak Te Reo Māori. Instead, they spoke English. As you can imagine, it was very difficult for the two groups to communicate because they did not have a dictionary or a translator. These days we are able to use the Internet to translate words and phrases from one language to another.
Use Google Translate to translate the following five phrases from English to Te Reo Māori or from Te Reo Māori to English. Post the translations on your blog. Be sure to include the phrase in both the English and Māori to earn full points.
- Nau mai ki Aotearoa . - Welcome to New Zealand
- ____ is my name. - Ko Hamuera toku ingoa
- What is your name? - He aha to ingoa?
- He pai taku ki te takaro i te whutupaoro. - I like to play Rugby
- Where do you come from? - No he koe?